This simple and easy gingerbread spice recipe will be perfect for your winter cookies, pancakes, pies and so so much more! Not only is it easy the hardest part is taking the containers out of the cupboard.
That’s right it’s packed full of flavorful punch way more than the small containers you can buy from the store and cheaper too! This recipe only takes 5 minutes to put together so next time you reach for a jar keep in mind this simple and delicious hack with only 6 ingredients.
gingerbread spice ingredients:
So exactly what is in gingerbread spice? I’m willing to bet you probably already have most of them sitting in your cupboard right now.
A combination of 6 simple spices, including:
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground allspice
- Ground black pepper
- Ground cloves
here’s how to make it. it’s so simple!
You will be done before you know. Start by:
- Combine. Measure all of your ingredients out in a small bowl (or add them directly to your spice jar). Give them a good stir (or shake) until evenly combined.
- Store. Then store in a sealed container until ready to use. A batch of this gingerbread spice recipe should keep well for about 6 months in a sealed container.
All you have to do is measure out the spices, mix them together, and you’re done. This recipe will make 7 tablespoons of this homemade spice blend which is perfect if you do a lot of baking during the fall. You can easily cut this recipe in half if you don’t need that much too.
Is gingerbread spice the same as pumpkin pie spice: Pumpkin pie spice is made with only 5 spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. It’s more mild than the gingerbread spice and has more cinnamon. Gingerbread spice also contains additional spices such as black pepper or coriander, which bring a more Christmassy feeling.
What flavors go well with gingerbread: Coffee tends to be my first choice but there are so many other flavor options to pair with gingerbread: lemon, white chocolate, caramel, chocolate – to name a few.
great recipes using gingerbread spice
5 minute Gingerbread Spice
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspooon ground black pepper
- Stir together the 3 tbsp. cinnamon, 3 tbsp. ginger, 1 tbsp. allspice, 1 tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp black pepper and ½ tsp ground cloves in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Use accordingly in your favorite gingerbread-spiced recipes.
- The spice mix can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Homemade Gingerbread Spice may be used as a substitute for store-bought gingerbread spice.