These candy-cane flecked Peppermint Blondies are the perfect holiday treat for all your peppermint-loving friends.
Peppermint blondies taste just like Christmas. With peppermint extract in the blondie and crushed candy canes in the frosting, it’s the perfect amount of peppermint for this festive treat. They also LOOK like Christmas, all dressed up for the holidays and ready to win your Christmas cookie swap. They also make a great gift for teachers and neighbors or friends.
Pair these with your favorite hot chocolate recipe, a warm cup of coffee, or for added holiday cheer, have them alongside my Easy Homemade Eggnog.
For the easiest prep, look for a bag of pre-chopped peppermint candies, which is a whole lot easier than peeling the plastic off a bunch of candy canes and chopping the sticky candies yourself. If you can’t find them pre-chopped, you can use any kind of hard peppermint candy or candy canes.
These peppermint blondies are so good, I wouldn’t judge you if you make them even when it’s not the holiday season. Trust me, blondies from scratch are impossible to resist!
Ingredients for Peppermint Blondies
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
- Chocolate chips or festive M&Ms
Unsalted Butter: Be sure to use room temperature unsalted butter. The recipe includes additional salt so you don’t want your eggnog cookies to be too salty.
Chocolate Chips: Semi-sweet, dark or milk… you choose! I like to use festive M&M around the holidays.
Pure Vanilla Extract: Using a high quality pure vanilla extract gives a subtle rich sweet flavor. It also brings out the flavors of the other ingredients in the mix.
Peppermint Extract: Using a high-quality peppermint extract gives these brownies their minty flavor.
How to make Peppermint Blondies
- STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- STEP TWO: Line with parchment paper a 8×8 inch square pan. Leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished blondies out (makes shaping into squares easier in the end). Set aside.
- STEP THREE: In medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and tsp salt together in a large bowl.
- STEP FOUR: In an electric mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed.
- STEP FIVE: Once completely combined, whisk in the whole 1 large egg and vanilla extract. Batter is pretty heavy and thick, so I usually use a rubber spatula.
- STEP SIX: Creating a well, slowly add the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips or M&Ms.
- STEP SEVEN: Evenly spread batter into prepared pan. Place additional on top for décor. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- STEP EIGHT: Cooled blondies can be topped with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.
How to store
This Eggnog Crumb Cake stays fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one week.
Can I freeze these white blondies?
Yes! If you want to bake extra, place the baked cake in an airtight container or wrap individual squares in plastic wrap, then in foil, and place in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
What is the difference between blondies and brownies?
Blondies use vanilla extract and brown sugar to get their flavor, while brownies use chocolate and cocoa.
What’s the best way to remove the plastic from candy canes?
Break the candy cane in half and the plastic will just peel right off.
BBQ Bakers Tips & Tricks
- For a fuller flavor, up the amount of peppermint extract.
- If you would like a real festive look, feel free to add a couple drops of red or green food coloring to the cream cheese frosting.
- Feel free to use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or semi-sweet chips, or substitute for festive M&Ms around the holidays.
- These can be cooked in a 9×13 inch pan as well, if you enjoy thinner blondies. Do your best to spread the batter to each edge of the pan. Bake time will be around 30 minutes.
- Try topping with a cream cheese frosting, only 3 ingredients!
These Peppermint Blondies are topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting and flecked with crushed candy cane — they are the perfect festive dessert for this time of year! Try using white chocolate chips for a white chocolate peppermint blondies.
Other easy holiday recipes to try:
- Eggnog Cookies
- Baked Eggnog Donuts with Candy Cane Buttercream Frosting
- Gingerbread Squares with Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gingerbread Cookies Dipped in White Chocolate
- Pecan Pie Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or festive M&M
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line with parchment paper a 8×8 inch square pan. Leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished blondies out (makes shaping into squares easier in the end). Set aside.
- Whisk the 2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp, baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda and ½ tsp salt together in a large bowl. Creating a well, add the wet ingredients.
- In a electric hand held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment beat 1 cup unsalted butter and 1 cup granulated sugar together on medium speed. Once completely combined, whisk in the whole 1 large egg and vanilla extract until combined. Batter is pretty heavy and thick, so I usually use a rubber spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips/or M&Ms.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared pan. Place additional on top for decor. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean"inch". Remove from the oven and cool blondies completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- These blondies are topped with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy cane but feel free to add your own variation.
- Cover and store leftover blondies at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Make ahead: These can be made up to 2 days in advance. Simply prepare the batter and place in desired pan, typically 8×8 pan and ensure it is covered tightly. Let sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes prior to baking.
- Freezing Instructions: To freeze, cool completely (if no one eats them first). Cut into squares and layer between sheets of parchment paper in an air tight container. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then bring to room temperature before serving.
- These can be enjoyed in an 9×13 inch pan as well, if you enjoy thinner blondies. Do your best to spread the batter to each edge of the pan. Bake time will be around 30 minutes.
- These are made with M&M white chocolate chips but feel free to substitute with any dark or milk chocolate chip.
- These ones are topped with cream cheese frosting!