This Eggnog Crumb Cake is one of my all-time favorite holiday breakfast recipes!
Our Christmas tree is up, holiday music is playing and it’s finally starting to snow. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and it wouldn’t be Christmas without this Eggnog Crumb Cake. If there’s one flavor that gets you into the holiday spirit it has to be eggnog, and what better way to enjoy the delicious eggnog flavor than in cake form!
This recipe puts a holiday spin on traditional coffee cake, substituting the milk with eggnog and topped with a mouthwatering cinnamon streusel crunch. It comes together quickly, takes about an hour to bake, and I can confirm it will be a favorite in your household this holiday season.
This delicious Eggnog Crumb Cake is easy to make and is perfect for an indulgent breakfast or brunch, or as an afternoon snack with a hot cup of coffee.
Ingredients for Eggnog Coffee Cake
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda
- Homemade eggnog
- Vanilla extract
Eggnog: You should be able to find eggnog in cartons at most supermarkets, especially around the holidays. I prefer to use my homemade eggnog recipe to give these cookies their warm holiday flavor.
Pure Vanilla Extract: Using a high quality pure vanilla extract gives a subtle rich sweet flavor. It also brings out the flavors of the other ingredients in the mix.
Unsalted Butter: Be sure to use room temperature unsalted butter. The recipe includes additional salt so you don’t want your eggnog cookies to be too salty.
How to make Eggnog Coffee Cake
- STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- STEP TWO: Whisk the flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl until combined.
- STEP THREE: Cut in the butter in very small pieces using a pastry cutter or mix with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- STEP FOUR: Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix in the eggnog, egg, and vanilla and then beat on medium speed until smooth.
- STEP FIVE: The batter is very thick. Spoon the eggnog mixture into the prepared pan lined with parchment paper or a little non-stick cooking spray, smoothing the top.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
Brown Sugar: I prefer using dark brown sugar as it provides extra moisture and a rich flavor with subtle caramel undertones that adds to the snickerdoodle flavor nicely.
Cinnamon: Using high quality cinnamon gives this streusel that warm, delicious holiday flavor.
How to make Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- STEP ONE: In a medium bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. Pour in the melted butter and carefully fold it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don’t over-mix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste.
- STEP TWO: Sprinkle streusel on top of coffee cake, pat down and place in the oven.
- STEP THREE: Bake the cake until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, it can take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Can be served with sweet eggnog glaze or plain.
How to store
This Eggnog Crumb Cake stays fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one week.
Can I freeze this crumb cake?
Yes! If you want to bake extra, place the baked cake in an airtight container or wrap individual squares in plastic wrap, then in foil, and place in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
What is the best eggnog to use?
I prefer using my better than store bought Homemade Eggnog recipe to give these cookies the perfect creamy and delicious flavor, but you can use any store-bought eggnog for convenience. Or, if you are dairy-free, you can use Silk Soy Nog Original.
Can I make this crumb cake ahead of time?
You can make this eggnog crumb cake the night before if you plan to eat if for breakfast. If you do, just cover the crumb cake batter and place it in the refrigerator. In the morning, uncover it and bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm with a cup of coffee!
BBQ Bakers Tips & Tricks
- Don’t have an 8×8 pan? Try using a 9″ springform pan.
- The cake is fairly thick so it bakes for about 40-45 minutes. It should be nice and golden on top.
- You can add rum or bourbon to your eggnog for added depth of flavor or use rum extract for a similar effect.
- Top this eggnog crumb cake with your favorite edible holiday sprinkles, or drizzle a bit of icing or cinnamon sugar on top
This melt-in-your-mouth Eggnog Crumb Cake is packed with traditional eggnog flavor and topped with a warm cinnamon streusel. It’s perfect for Christmas morning and a hit with eggnog fans.
Other easy holiday recipes to try:
- Gingerbread Squares with Eggnog Cream Cheese Frosting
- Eggnog Cookies
- Easy Homemade Eggnog
- Oven-baked Eggnog Waffles
- Baked Eggnog Donuts with Candy Cane Buttercream Frosting
Eggnog Crumb Cake
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- ¾ cup eggnog see homemade recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Generously spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Whisk the 1¾ cups flour, ¾ cup sugar, 2 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp baking soda and ½ tsp salt together in a large mixing bowl until combined. Cut in the ½ cup butter in very small pieces using a pastry blender or mix with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix ¾ cup milk, 1 large egg, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg and 2 tsp vanilla and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the ½ cup of sprinkles and stir using a wooden spoon or spatula. The batter is very thick. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- In a medium bowl, combine 1¼ cup all-purpose flour and ½ cup brown sugar together.
- Pour in ½ cup melted butter and carefully fold/cut it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don’t over-mix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste.
- Sprinkle streusel on top of eggnog batter, pat down and place in the oven.
- Bake the cake batter until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Baking time varies, so begin checking at 30 minutes and don’t be alarmed if your cake takes longer. Mine usually takes the full 45 minutes.
- Eggnog Crumb Cake stays fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Make Ahead : Cake tastes best on first day 1 but don’t worry you can still achieve amazing results on day 2 or 3. The cake may be made 1 day in advance. Store covered at room temperature in airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Wrap individual squares/slices of cake in plastic wrap, then in foil, and place in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pan: Don’t have an 8×8 pan? Use a 9-inch spring form pan.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Word of mouth is the kindest compliment you could give!
Leave a comment below. Tag @bbqbakers on Instagram. Like, comment & follow on Pinterest.