French toast is a delicious breakfast option that is both satisfying and easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, anyone can create a mouthwatering plate of French toast. The dish is perfect for those who want something sweet and hearty for breakfast but don’t have a lot of time in the morning. The bread soaked in the egg mixture gives it a fluffy texture and the sweet, cinnamon flavor is sure to wake up your taste buds. French toast can also be customized to your liking with various toppings like fresh fruit, syrup, or even whipped cream.
French toast is a classic breakfast dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It’s a simple recipe that can be made with just a few ingredients, making it an easy and delicious breakfast option for families and individuals alike. However, one common question that arises is what to serve with French toast.
What is French toast? French toast, also known as eggy bread, is a dish made from bread that is soaked in a mixture of eggs and milk and then fried until golden brown.
What is the trick to French toast? The trick is to use thick slices of bread and to soak them in the egg mixture for long enough to allow the bread to absorb it fully. Additionally, make sure to cook the toast on medium heat to avoid burning it.
What is the most common mistake in making French toast? The most common mistake in making French toast is not soaking the bread in the egg mixture long enough. This can result in the bread being too dry or not fully cooked in the center. Another mistake is cooking the French toast on high heat, which can cause it to burn or become too crispy.
How do you make French toast not soggy? To prevent toast from becoming soggy, make sure to use stale or slightly dry bread. Fresh bread can absorb too much of the egg mixture and become too soft. Also, avoid using too much liquid in the egg mixture and make sure to cook the toast on medium heat for a few minutes on each side to ensure that it’s fully cooked and crispy on the outside.
What is the difference between French toast and regular toast? The main difference between French toast and regular toast is that French toast is dipped in an egg and milk mixture before being fried, whereas regular toast is simply toasted bread.
how to make french toast
Now that we’ve answered some common questions, let’s talk about how to make delicious dish. Here’s a simple recipe that will yield delicious results every time:
- 4 slices of bread (stale or left out overnight)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of butter
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place the bread slices in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Best Bread for French Toast
As previously mentioned, the best bread for French toast is bread that is slightly stale or has been left out overnight. This allows the bread to absorb the egg mixture without becoming too soggy. Here are a few options for bread that will yield delicious results:
- Brioche: Brioche is a buttery, rich bread that is perfect for French toast. Its soft texture and slightly sweet flavor make it a popular choice among chefs and home cooks alike.
- Challah: Challah is a traditional Jewish bread that is commonly used for French toast. Its egg-rich dough gives it a slightly sweet flavor and a soft texture that is perfect for soaking up the egg mixture.
- Sourdough: Sourdough bread is a tangy, slightly sour bread that is great for French toast. Its firm texture holds up well to the egg mixture and gives the French toast a delicious depth of flavor.
- French Bread: French bread’s chewy interior and crispy crust make it ideal for soaking up the egg mixture without becoming too soggy. Its distinct flavor profile also adds depth to the dish and makes it a great canvas for various toppings and flavors.
- Texas Toast: Texas toast’s thickness allows it to soak up the egg mixture, resulting in a fluffy, custardy center with a crispy, buttery exterior. The added butter or garlic flavor also gives the texas toast a rich, savory taste that pairs well with sweet toppings like syrup or fresh fruit.
Maple Syrup vs Agave
Let’s compare these popular sweeteners so you know exactly what you are drizzling onto your breakfast. Is agave or maple syrup the best choice for your next recipe?
Substitutions for Maple Syrup
Whether you can’t have maple syrup or just don’t have it on hand, you may find that you need a replacement. If you need a substitute for maple syrup, read on for some excellent alternatives!
What to Serve with French Toast
Here are some delicious options:
- Butter and warm maple syrup, powdered sugar, dried fruit or peanut butter for toppings
- If you are feeling adventurous Peanut butter frosting would be delicious!
- Fresh berries
- Whipped cream
- Sausage links or patties
- Scrambled eggs or egg bites
- Hash browns or tater tot casserole
- Strawberry yogurt and granola parfaits
- Toast or English muffins with jam
- Fresh fruits
- Breakfast bake
- Orange juice or mimosas
Loaded Breakfast Skillet
Strawberry Banana Bread
Ham and Broccoli Casserole
Cheesy Overnight Sausage Casserole
Kitchen Sink Slow Cooker Casserole
Crunchy Berries French Toast Casserole
Blueberry Lemon Cobbler Skillet
Strawberry Crumb Muffins
Making French toast is also a great way to use up any leftover bread you may have lying around. Instead of letting it go to waste, you can turn it into a delicious breakfast that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized for the day ahead. It’s also a great option for families with kids who may be picky eaters. The sweetness of the French toast is sure to please even the most stubborn eaters, and with a variety of toppings available, everyone can customize their own plate to their liking. Overall, French toast is a quick and easy breakfast option that is perfect for anyone looking for something delicious and satisfying in the morning.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Word of mouth is the kindest compliment you could give!
Leave a comment below. Tag @bbqbakers on Instagram. Like, comment & follow on Pinterest.
Let me know how you made out!!